#DontBeDaft: The Drinking Series
It's time to put those books away and enjoy a stress-free night out in Coventry!
It's okay to have a few drinks and enjoy yourself on a night out, but it's important you keep yourself safe while doing it.
Here are our top tips for staying safe when you hit the town:
- Pre-book a taxi for your return journey; if you forget to pre-book just make sure the one you get is licensed
- Stay in a group if you're travelling at night
- Take turns designating a friend in the group that stays sober to make sure everyone else stays safe
- Never leave your drink unattended, if you're a smoker, go for a smoke between rounds
- Keep your bag zip/clasp facing inwards so you're not an easy target when you're throwing some shapes
- Don't accept drinks from strangers or start sipping on a drink you think is yours that's been left for ages - you don't know what could be lurking in there
- Keep the top of your drink covered - you don't want anyone dropping something into your drink
- Don't let strangers follow you past your halls gates, wouldn't seem so normal if a randomer walked in when you were back home
- Use cash machines in busy, lit up areas, preferably with a mate next to you if you need to get cash out
- Drink water in-between alcohol and be aware of the amount you are drinking, you'll be grateful in the morning
When you're out having fun you should also beware of drink spiking. Remember to keep in mind:
- Men are also at risk and should take precautionary measures
- Some incidents involve no crime other than the spiking of a drink, but others may involve the theft of a mobile phone or even sexual assault
- It happens even if you aren't drinking alcohol - drugs are mostly colourless, odourless and tasteless so can be put in any drink regardless of alcohol content
- Putting more or different alcohol into a drink than someone asks you for (whether it's for a laugh because it's your friends birthday or you think they need to enjoy themselves) is considered drink spiking
- You can minimise your risk by following the tips above
Keep yourself and your friends safe, and don't forget to have some fun too!
- Read Next
- #DontBeDaft: River Safety Series #Dontbedaft: The Night Out Series #Dontbedaft: The personal safety series #Dontbedaft: The Mugging Series #DontBeDaft: The Money Series #Dontbedaft: The Cycling Series #DontBeDaft: The Drugs Series #DontBeDaft: The Car Series #Dontbedaft: The Online Safety Series #Dontbedaft: The Fire Series #Dontbedaft: Our Top 5 Safety Tips #DontBeDaft: Stay safe in Freshers Week #DontBeDaft: Getting Home Safe
- Check out the FREE sports facilities! Need something fixing in your accommodation? Not getting on with your flatmates? Your guide to a night out in Coventry! FIFA tournament