House hunting: The basics
Moving out of halls can be slightly daunting, there's a lot you need to consider to make sure your next year is the best it can be. Just remember, it's important to choose what's right for you.
We've collated the key questions you'll want to consider when you start househunting...
How do I find accommodation?
Edinburgh has plenty of private accommodation available to students. To get you started, here are some useful websites to look at:
Private accommodation has to be arranged by you and your housemates as landlords want to meet you before signing anything. However, Heriot-Watt Accommodation Office offers advice if you're unsure.
Where should I stay?
Location, location, location... it's key to figure out the area you want to be in. It's not just simply about picking your favourite place, there are things you should take into account, such as:
- How far you want to be away from campus?
- How much will it cost to commute?
- Is there a nearby supermarket?
- Does it have car parking?
The best places to stay are on the west of the city, in areas such as Haymarket, Dalry, Gorgie, Chesser, Slateford, Currie, Juniper Green and Balerno.
If you are using public transport to get the campus, then you should look for a property on the 25, 34 or 45 Lothian Buses routes.
How much should I be spending?
Private renting means you usually pay between £400 - £450 per room or £550-£650 for a one bedroom flat.
Remember, these costs won't include bills so make sure to take this into account and budget accordingly. Bills can vary per property so make sure you check this out before signing anything.
Who should I live with?
Having a housemate/s is a great way to share the cost of living. It's important to take time to think about who you're going to live with though - you'll be spending a lot of time together! her!
- Read Next
- My TOP house hunting tips House hunting: What are your options? Found a house? Make sure you check your contract! Your responsibilities vs. your landlords Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Apps to make your life at Heriot Watt simple Before you apply, check your social media...
- Heriot Watt through the lens... Josh's top 3 books to help you unwind Super quick stress relievers Keeping Your Accommodation Clean - Our Top Tips! Simple ways to treat your Mum this Mother's Day