My top 5 places to visit in Edinburgh whilst at Heriot-Watt
As a reflection of my time in Edinburgh, there are definitely places that I will miss when I leave after graduation.
Here are the top 5 places that people must visit while at Heriot-Watt, and I also include three reasons each!
Shopping Destination: Ocean Terminal
If you are a mall person instead of a shop person, ocean terminal is definitely ideal for you. Three reasons why I love the place...
- Popular shopping brands with a lot of sales: Although the place is not designed as an outlet, there seems to be more sales going on compared to the shops in the city centre. (I had a £75 voucher for GAP earlier this year, and I ended up struggling to spend them all because there was 20% off on top of the clearance sales. As a result of that, I ended up buying eight items which I thought was brilliant.)
- Amazing restaurants with brilliant views: I always go to the burger restaurant called Handmade Burger Co. and request a window seat. It has a lot of space, and you can't ask for more than eating the best burger next to the sea!
- Easy access: It is the final stop of bus 34 and 35 so if you are travelling from the university, you can literally just jump on the bus and chill!
Karaoke fan: Supercube
If you are from the UK, you might have already heard of Supercube. Three reasons why it is brilliant!
- Location: It’s on George Street, i.e. many bars around the karaoke bar, so it is definitely ideal if you want to have a wee drink before heading in!
- Discounts: there are weekday discounts, student discounts, and many other discounts for the karaoke!
- Languages: there are many different languages of karaoke, including English, Mandarin, Cantonese and etc.
Park Lover: Princes Street Garden
Prince's street garden is no doubt the number one. Why?
- City centre: as the campus is a bit far from the city centre, going to a park that is an hour away just seems to be too much effort. However, from the university, Princes-street garden only requires 30 minutes commute which makes it a brilliant location.
- Christmas Market: if you happen to be here during Christmas, visiting the market is just a must! Great atmosphere, more and more entertainment, and tasty food!
- Octoberfest: the annual beer festival in Edinburgh, and it is great to enjoy with friends!
Something Natural: Calton Hill
One of the most tourist places in the city centre, and it is a must-go for visitors. How can you study in Edinburgh without going there?
- Festive Night: I celebrate Guy Fawkes Night on 5th November and Burns Night on 25th January at Calton Hill.
- Outdoor Social: A few of my friends sometimes just go on the hill to gather around. However, remember that the hill is a bit windy so always bring a light jacket with you!
- Small hiking: it is very close to the city centre. You can chill in Calton Hill if you get tired of shopping.
City escape: Portobello Beach
Portobello beach is on the east side of Edinburgh.
- City escape: as it is about an hour away from the city centre, it is usually quite chilled to walk around.
- Café: there are a few cafés, ice cream shops, and restaurants around, so it is great with the views.
- Volleyball: I have a few friends who always go to the beach for volleyball competition, so if you happen to be a fan, you will need to try it out!
Of course, there are many other good places in Edinburgh, and if you are interested in any other good places that I have been to, check me out on Instagram: @judietaiwanese.
- Read Next
- Josh's Blog: Places I wish I'd known before going to Heriot-Watt! Judie's Blog: Once Watt, Never Not Judie's Top 5 Places to Eat in Edinburgh Bus Services to Edinburgh Campus The BEST places to visit near Edinburgh campus 8 things to do in Edinburgh Edinburgh named one of best student cities in the World Places to explore this Summer in Edinburgh Handy hacks to help you survive Welcome Week Get Sporty at the Oriam
- THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt Homesickness: What to do when you miss Mum and Dad Advice from a graduate: Budgeting Join us for an autumnal afternoon walk! Your first fortnight at uni bucketlist!