Awkward things that happen when making friends
Starting university means you're about to meet a range of new people, some of who will become your best mates!
And while making new friends might be a daunting thought, don't worry! You'll make some amazing memories and eventually laugh at that awkward first meeting...
- Being the first to arrive at a flat party someone upstairs invited you to. It'll mean standing on your own for a solid 15 minutes and will teach you that 9pm always means 10pm.
- Awkwardly hover over group conversations where you don't say anything interesting- or at all. You'll stay there because...FOMO (fear of missing out).
- Finally mustering up the courage to say something, it'll be 20 minutes after the conversation ended. A result of over-thinking what you should and should not say.
- Feeling intimidated by the overly confident person
everyone finds hilarious. They'll notice you gawping in envy, making you feel more out of their league than ever.
- Being friendly will get misconstrued as flirting. You're just trying to find something to talk about...
- Laughing at jokes when you've completely zoned out because everyone else did...This will be followed by the wonder if they're laughing at you.
- Getting excited for one-on-one time to help form real friendships, yet struggling to find one single conversation topic
- Biting your tongue when you don't agree with someone's opinion. With home friends, you'd probably start a big debate but it's best to suss out your audience first.
- Something funny will happen between you and your new friend and you'll bring it up in jest. Sadly, you'll find yourself awkwardly reminding them and wishing the ground would swallow you up.
- You'll go to lectures together, you'll go out together, yet you'll still keep forgetting your new friend's name. It gets awkward when you go to save their number and have to ask, 'how do you spell your name' to find out. Everybody can spell Josh...
Whether it's awkward to begin or it's like you've known each other for years, you can guarantee that in going to university, you'll make brand new friendships that will last a lifetime!
- Read Next
- Feeling homesick? You're not alone! Making it on your own: Laundry How to be the BEST neighbour But first... let me take a selfie! Struggling with Social Anxiety? Daisy Bank Halls: From a Daisy Bank Veteran How We Can Help At Birley Student Living Reception New Student? Learn about Res Life at MMU How to stay positive Alcohol: Myths v Truths What it's like being a student from outside the UK
- Be in with a chance of winning your very own Uni-Pug! Did someone say rev sesh?! Looking back on my final year What's around Birley? Budgeting your way through your final loan...