How I made friends at uni
In the next three years, you'll make loads of new friends, you'll enjoy wild nights out and cosy nights in and make some amazing memories. This will be all you need for stress relief, laughter and entertainment!
So, having been there and done that - here are my top tips for making new friends...
- Join groups and pages on Facebook.
Find your new halls of residence, the official universities freshers’ week group to start chatting before arrivals and follow the Res Life and Accommodation pages to get all the latest about events you can all attend in the year.
- Be the first to say “Hello”
Take the plunge and say hello! Don’t be afraid, people don’t bite. This is a completely natural way of starting a conversation.
- Join a society
Want to find people with common interests? Join a society- this could be sports societies, music societies or gaming. You can try as many as you like so don’t be worried that you have to pick the perfect interest for you. It's sometimes about experiencing hobbies that you may not have done before, or something you’ve always wanted to try but never had the opportunity too.
- Be the organiser
Whether it's starting a group chat on Whatsapp, suggesting events to go to, or organising a flatmate meal, you can be the person to bring everyone together.
- Make an effort with your flatmates
Remember, you'll be sharing with your flatmates for the entire year so you'll likely find it tough on some days. Therefore, sometimes it's important to get away from the flat and go out and about together!
- Read Next
- What's around Birley? How to resolve any problems with Flatmates 5 things to do when you have settled in Spill The Beans #3: Food Tips From An MMU Student Bike Safety - How To Not Get Hit... 10 fun things to do in Manchester 5 unusual nights out in Manchester
- Study Skills... We've got your back Need somewhere to live? Thinking about getting a Student House next year? Daisy Bank Halls: From a Daisy Bank Veteran How to be organised at uni!